For the students to be able to visit your course, you will have to set it to Active. While the course is set to Active, it is still possible for some content items/modules to be invisible for the students.
Once the course has been created in Brightspace, it is set to ‘Inactive’. This means that students will not be able to find the course in Course Catalog and cannot enroll.
Once you are ready to allow enrollments, please take the following steps:
- Go to Course Admin in the Navigation bar
- In the Course Administration screen, select Course Offering Information
- Scroll to the heading ‘Active’ and tick the checkbox for Course is active
- Select Save at the bottom of the screen.
The course is now active and will be shown in the Course Catalog (please allow some processing time).
Even though a course is set to Active in Brightspace (see above), Instructors can still hide modules and content items from student’s view.
By default, all content added to a course is set to Published, meaning that student will be able to view and access the content item in the course.
Find below how to hide parts of a course:
Hide content items in cases where you would like to give students access to some content items but not all, please follow the steps below:
- Add the content item of your choice to the course.
- Next to the content item title, select the dropdown menu button.
- Select Hide from users
The content item is now hidden from Student’s view and will only become visible, once the instructor changes the content item’s status to Make Visible to Users.
Much like hiding a content item, (sub)modules can also be hidden from Student’s view by changing their visible status. To do so, please follow the steps below:
- In the (sub)module, on the right of the screen select the eye icon.
- Click on the slider so that the status changes from Visible to Hidden
The (sub)module is now hidden from view for Students.
If you would like to verify what Students are able to view, please change your role in the User Menu. To find about more, please click here.