You can assess learners’ participation in discussion topics from within threads for topics to which you’ve added an assessment. Once you attach a topic to a grade item, you will find the Assess Post pop-up, with a link to the original discussion post. You can use this link to see more information about why the user posted a reply or what other learners replied to the post.
Click on the ‘+’ to see how to use each feature:
- On your course home page, click the icon Discussions
- From the context menu of the discussion topic you want to attach a grade item to, click Edit and Edit Topic.
- In the Assessment tab, select an existing grade item from the Grade Item drop-down list, or click New Grade Item to create a new one.
- Choose a Score that suits you.
- Add a Rubric if you want to use Rubrics to grade the discussion.
- It is also possible to allow assessments of individual posts and to include unassessed posts in the calculated topic score as zero.
- When you are done, click Save and Close.
There are two ways you can assess the discussions forums:
- via the Discussion Forum;
- via the Grade section;
Assessing via Discussion Forum
- On the navigation bar, click Collaboration and then Discussions.
- Once you are in the Discussions List page, click the Topic you want to assess.
- Instructors can select either the thread or reply for a post. Click the Drop down menu and then select Assess Topic to reach a overview of all students that are in the Discussion and can be graded.
- In de overview, you are able to select Topic Score for each individual student.
- After you have selected a student you will reach the following menu:
Here, you are able to grade the students, and if a rubric was added to the topic in the previous step, then you can also grade the student using the rubric. In the General Feedback field, you may enter feedback comments.
Next to that, you can switch between students in the top right corner.
- In the bottom right you can Publish or Save draft of the feedback you gave the student(s). Save Draft feature provides instructors the option to save feedback on assessments in draft state prior to publishing it to learners. Publishing the feedback after it has been saved as draft can be done for multiple students at a time using the Publish Feedback button. This button can be found when you click on Assess Topic.
- Feedback can be retracted. Go to Assess Topic and select the Retract Feedback button.
Assessing via Grades
- On the navbar, click the Grades icon.
- Under Enter Grades find the student you want to assess.
- You may click directly on the discussion icon corresponding to the student you want to grade. Another option is to click on the arrow next to the category associated with your discussion topic and select grade all. In your students list you will find the same discussion icon, click on it.
- A pop-up window will open, follow the options from step “4” as explained in the previous section “1. Assessing via the Discussion Forum”.