Buddycheck is a simple to set up and use peer evaluation tool which allows students to evaluate each team member’s performance in a group activity, as well as perform a self-assessment. The Instructor can create any number of performance criteria or select from a number of samples. Students are awarded an average score (excluding or including their self-score). Students will receive feedback on the group dynamic and their performance against the group average. Buddycheck utilizes the research-based CATME framework for peer evaluation in groups.
Setting up Buddycheck
You can now create your first evaluation.
- Click Create Evaluation.
- Enter an Evaluation title or select a previously made evaluation as template.
- Enter an evaluation Start and End date.
- At the Group composition, select if you want to Reuse groups or Create new groups.
Groups in Buddycheck, at the moment, stand alone. There is no link between Buddycheck groups and groups in Brightspace.
Creating new groups (Go to step 5 if you Reuse groups)
To add students/student groups to the evaluation you need to upload a CSV file (Comma Separated Values File) with the exact data as provided in the template provided by Buddycheck: Name (including First and Last Name), Email and Group Name. The steps below guide you through how to copy the students’ details from Brightspace and successfully upload them to Buddycheck.
- Start by clicking Download template. This template includes a placeholder for the following data: Name (including First and Last Name), Email and Group Name.
The name must include the First and Last name otherwise Buddycheck will not successfully recognize the student.
- To retrieve your student group data, Go to your course in Brightspace, go to Collaboration-menu and select Group Import/Export Tool. There, go to tab Download Classlist and download the CSV file.
The downloaded output will show the following: OrgDefineID, Username, Lastname, Firstname, Email, Groupcategory, Group name.
The next step is to convert the output Excel file so that it matches the required fields of the template that must be used in Buddycheck.
- In the output downloaded Classlist from Group Import/Export tool: Insert a column before the email column
- Go to row 2 and insert formula =CONCATENATE(D2,” “,C2). Copy it through the complete column to aggregate name and last name.
- Copy the columns with the first and last name and the email.
The information in those columns, together with the group names that you will add manually, will be the required details to add to the Buddycheck template. Later, in Buddycheck, you can easily swap students around in the created groups if necessary.
- Open the CSV template file from Buddycheck.
- Select column A and then click Data, select Text to Columns, select Delimited, click Next, Semicolon, click Next, keep General and Finish.
This will separate the necessary column fields, which are Name, Email and Group Name.
- Keep the first row information and from row 2 delete all data placeholders from the template.
- Paste the data from the output downloaded Classlist from Group Import/Export tool in row 2, making sure you paste values only.
- Save the new CSV file with Name, email, GroupName. Excel will ask you to keep the same format, click Yes.
- Upload the new CSV file to Buddycheck
- Add your Peer questions (about the other group members) and Team questions (about the Team as a whole).
A set of Main questions is by default selected. These questions can be viewed, edited or deleted from your evaluation. You can change the order of questions using drag and drop. Move your mouse over the =-icon for the drag and drop symbol to appear.Please keep in mind that as course manager you will be able to see the answers of indivual students to the peer questions even though they’re anonymous between students.
- To create new questions click Create question. Fill in the required question information and click Create question.
- Click on Select from library to import custom questions from an old course you were involved in as Course manager.
- You can choose to enable Open questions to ask students about the team or the course in general. This can also be used if you want students to send you a private message about the group. The reactions are only visible to the instructor.
- If you want students to send peers a message, enable Peer messages (you can choose to make the reactions anonymous to the receiver or not).
- If you want students to receive a reminder to submit their evaluation you can set an automatic reminder here. Here you can also set the date to automatically lock your evaluation. When locked, the results are final and cannot be submitted anymore. You can optionally release the results, this is not done automatically.
- Before you save you can click Open preview, to open a preview of the evaluation.
- Click Create evaluation when you are done.
- The page will reload and you will see the new evaluation listed on the Peer evaluations page. You can create another by clicking the +Create evaluation button. All the evaluations will be listed in the same Buddycheck link, so you don’t have to create multiple links (as mentioned in step 1).
If you need to add or remove a student to/from a group you should use the same CSV file as when you created the groups in the previous step. Simply update the file first, by adding or removing the student(s) to/from the relevant groups.
This functionality cannot be used to change names!
- To change the group members for the evaluation, first update the CSV file to have the new combination of students in the groups.
- Save the file.
- Go to the Buddycheck evaluation in Brightspace
- Click More and select Update using CSV Sync.
- Click on Upload CSV file.
This upload will replace the old groups. So when you add a new group member, add this person to the CSV file you used before. Do NOT delete the groups from the file that do not need any changes.
- Double-check the changes that will be made in all tabs (new/changes/removed) and click on Start Sync.
- When students click on Buddycheck they will see the evaluations created in your course. To start, they will click Begin evaluation.
- The student selects a rating for each criterion. The student clicks Next to select ratings for the following criteria until they have the option to Submit evaluation.
- You will be able to monitor which individuals and groups have completed the task and what scores individuals have given and received.
- Although you have set a due date, students will be able to complete the evaluation until you Lock the evaluation. Students will see that their submission is overdue.
If students submit an evaluation after the due date, Buddycheck will indicate by how many days the evaluation is overdue.
- You can allow a grace period and Send a reminder to students who have not completed their evaluation, or simply click Lock evaluation.
- If a student needs a reminder to finish the evaluation or needs to make the evaluation again you can select the student and Send e-mail or Reopen. Clear removes the results added by the student, Remove removes the student from the list.
- To release feedback to students, select More and click Release results.
- Students will now be able to review their feedback within Buddycheck and receive an e-mail with a summary. Select More and click Export results to download a complete summary of the evaluation. You can choose to include or exclude self scores in the results.
- To view a student’s feedback or the group results, Select the student and click Personal Report or Group report.
- Students initially see a graphical representation of how they performed across all criteria.
- Students then see more detail on each criterion, comparing their self-score, received score and team average.
- You can choose to include or exclude the students’ Self-scores in the average score calculation in the Instructor view.
- Where certain team dynamics occurred, they will be labelled. See for example the Conflict label below.
- The label key can be found below.
- If you have enabled Peer messages to Instructor and received one, you will see this text/chat icon next to the student’s name .
- If you enabled Anonymous for receiving student when setting up the evaluation, the feedback will be visible to the student but without the name of the sender.
Create your first evaluation
If you use Buddycheck from inside your Learning Environment, this article will explain how to get started. Make sure that you have added Buddycheck to your Course.
Only course instructors are allowed to create an evaluation. Creating an evaluation is easy. Here is a step-by-step explanation of creating an evaluation.
- Add students and groups to your course.
- Go to Buddycheck in your course. If Buddycheck is not yet enabled in your course, contact Brightspace Support to add Buddycheck to your course.
- Click 'Create evaluation'.
- Fill in the Create Evaluation form. Start and End date should not be too far apart because students will forget about the deadline.
- Once you have created your first evaluation, click the Results button of this evaluation to see if everything is added correctly.
During the evaluation
When the start date has passed, all students will receive an email from Buddycheck requesting them to evaluate their group. Each email has a unique link that enables the student to get started without having to go to Brightspace first. However, it is also possible for students to open their evaluation from within the Brightspace course and clicking the Buddycheck tab. As an instructor, you will see the progress and you can monitor whether your students are filling in the evaluation correctly in the Results page of the evaluation. This is important because it can happen that some students do not take the evaluation seriously. In this case, you can ask students to redo their evaluation.
Actions during the evaluation
In the results tab, you can select one or multiple students in the results table using the checkboxes on the left. By doing so, action buttons will appear on the top of the results page:
- Email: Use this button to email students.
- Clear: Use this button to clear/remove the results entered by the student
- Reopen: Use this button if you want students to fill out the survey again.
- Remove: Use this button if students have left the course in the meantime.
After the evaluation
When the evaluation deadline has passed, the evaluation is formally closed. However, students can still submit their survey. They will be marked red to indicate they were late. As soon as you are happy with the results, you can release the results to the students. After releasing, all students will receive an email with a link to look at their individual results. Students who haven't submitted the survey will also get the results. Students will not see individual rating from group members. Just the total average of all group members.
In the results tab, you might see Notes appear such as 'High' or 'Low' or 'Under'. At the top of the page, you can find for information on each label. As an instructor, you can use the results to give credits to high performers and talk to low performers or teams with problems. You can use the Adjustment factors to update the course grades too. However, be careful not to directly copy all Adjustment factors, since it often requires human sense to correctly value the trustworthiness of the results and the assessments. The Adjustment Factors are visible on the right side of the Results tab. You have two types: Without Self and With Self. Without Self is the factor without his or her own (self) ratings. With Self is with the self-ratings included. For example, the Adjustment factor is 1.05 and the student has a 7 (out of 10) as a course grade. You multiple 7 with 1.05, which means the final grade would be 7,35.
Yes, students can still submit after the deadline. Their submissions will be marked red to indicate they were late.
There are two options to make sure students cannot submit anymore: Lock evaluation or release results.
Go to results page and click 'More '> 'Lock evaluation'. Students cannot submit anymore, even if you reminded them or reopened the evaluation for some students.
Go to results page and click 'More '> 'Release results'. Once the results are released to the students, it not only becomes locked but you also send an email to all students with their results. You can see a preview of each student result page. Go to results page and expand a student row in the table and click 'Preview result page'.
Go to the results page of the evaluation. Click 'More' > 'Export results' to download all results as in comma-separated format!
The CSV file will show the average scores as well as the raw survey data.
Go to the evaluation you created and click 'More' > 'Sync with CSV'. Upload your updated CSV file with all students and groups included. Only in scenarios where a student has to do the evaluation again, an email will be sent.
The short answer: Yes, you can!
You can create questions on the Create Evaluation page or on the Edit Evaluation page. Click Create Question in the middle of the form and a dialog opens where you can create new questions, edit those questions and even import custom questions from an old course you were involved in.
As an instructor, just go to Buddycheck in your course. When arriving, you see a page with one or more evaluations in a table. Click on the evaluation title, you will then see a button More. Click the button and click Send a reminder. This will send an email with a link to the survey to each student who hasn't completed the survey yet.
If a student does not complete the evaluation, there is less peer evaluation data in the group of this student. This means that the results will be less reliable, especially if it is a small group or if there are more students in the same group that have not completed the evaluation.
That being said, an average and an adjustment factor of a student is simply calculated using completed evaluation data from the peers in the group. So you can just use all results even if not 100% of students have completed the evaluation. Students that have not submitted do get an average and an adjustment factor because peers probably did complete an evaluation with this person included.
Yes this is possible. The functionality is called 'Peer messages'.
Peer messages allows you to ask your students to send optional feedback to each peer directly. Only the student that received the feedback will see the message if you release the results. You can choose for it to be anonymous to the receiving student. Instructors can also see these messages.
Yes you can! Assuming you haven't locked or released the results yet. If you locked the results, you have to unlock the evaluation first.
Go to your evaluation results where you see all students in a table. On the left of each student is a checkbox. Select each student evaluation you want to reopen and on the top of the page buttons appear, one of them being Reopen. Click on it, optionally tune the email text and send it.
Students will directly receive the email. With the link in it, they can double-check or adjust their evaluation and submit it again.
It is possible that cookies are blocking your browser activity. Start by clearing all cookie settings and then try again. You will find more information about cookies, here: https://www.tudelft.nl/en/cookie-policy/. Also, using a different browser might help!
If it still doesn't work, don't hesitate to contact us at Brightspace Support.