*An instructional video is also available for this topic. Scroll down if you wish to watch the video. *
Occasionally, you would like to post links to other websites, or other resources for your students, to do so, follow the steps below by clicking on the +.
- Click on Upload/Create;
- Then click on Create a Link.
- Give the link a title, this title is what students will see in Brightspace. The URL is the address of the link that they will go to.We always recommend that you choose: Open as External Resource. This is because this setting always works. These resources will then open in another tab in the user’s browser, clearly indicating that these exist outside Brightspace. If you leave this checkbox unselected, the resource will be embedded within Brightspace, which might not always work. Some websites explicitly do not allow themselves to be embedded within other sites. And websites without HTTPS security can also not be embedded in Brightspace, so must be opened externally anyway.
How to use this to improve your course
- External resources can provide a great way to expand the horizon of your students. Make sure the material is connected with your course, but still provides an extension beyond your class.
- Always use the View as student option to verify that the resource appears as you intend.
- Select the Open as External Resource checkbox